Sunday, March 15, 2009

Gossip Girl is back...sort of


The CW soap "Gossip Girl" returns to the air at 8 p.m. Monday after a long absence. That's probably a mixed blessing to the many of you who have found this season a bit uneven. Personally, I agree there's been a lot to loathe this season (yes, Aaron Rose and Agnes the Skanky Model, I'm talking to you), but I'm still on board, due mainly to the often hilarious dialogue and some brilliantly sleazy storylines, such as Dan and Serena sharing a sibling and Lily's legitimately horrifying near-rape by Chuck's creepy uncle. And, of course, there's the ceaseless brilliance of Leighton Meester's performance as Blair Waldorf. Even in the worst GG episodes, the Blair stuff always shines.
But, I'm thinking that the two new episodes will perk up some of you who have been moaning that the show is losing its sheen. I've seen them and, while there's nothing quite as awesome as Chuck showing up drunk to his dad's funeral and calling his stepmom a whore, they're both pretty decent. First of all, it looks like two much-hated storylines are coming to a close (I won't spoil you by saying which ones, but I will predict that many of you will be pleased). Also, we see Blair fall apart a bit, which I think we can agree is always good for the show, as our Queen B is never quite so lovable -- and so vicious -- as when she's backed into a corner. And, best of all, in this Monday's episode, we see Nelly Yuki in a fat suit. Yes, you read that correctly. I won't reveal why exactly (quick hint: It has to do with why Blair is dressed like a Victorian widow in the above photo), but suffice it to say that that image alone makes the episode worth watching.
I know many "Gossip Girl" fans are worried about an upcoming reunion between two characters (no, I won't say which ones), but that reunion starts in next week's episode and, so far, I'm hating it a lot less than I thought I would.
Overall, the new episodes are fun and give me hope for the rest of the season.
"Gossip Girl" airs Monday at 8 p.m.

No comments: