Thursday, May 20, 2010

"Modern Family" season finale: "Family Portrait"

Some quick spoilers on the season finale of ABC's "Modern Family" below. Don't click through if you don't want to know.

"Modern Family" is a show I don't often write about because, well, I don't really like analyzing sitcoms. The quickest way to destroy a joke (or a sitcom) is to talk about it, and I prefer simply enjoying "Modern Family" for what it is.
However, I did want to say a few words about last night's season finale because a) I do like the show and b) I thought the finale was a funny, satisfying way to wrap things up for the season. We saw all of our characters display some of their worst characteristics tonight. Claire's perfectionism almost destroyed her family photo. Mitchell's paralyzing fear of pigeons and, um, talking to people (for real? Isn't he a lawyer? Aren't small talk and networking part of the job) destroyed his living room. Phil's obliviousness got him into far more trouble than he would have been in had he just picked up the phone when Claire called (and, presumably, spent enough time talking to her that the "Kiss Cam" wouldn't have noticed him and Gloria). And Gloria still fails to realize that her new family isn't always appreciative of grand gestures (or skimpy dresses).
But, of course, it all worked out. And there were some nice moments for everyone. Though I thought Mitchell's reaction to the bird was a little unbelievable, Jesse Tyler Ferguson was hilarious, both when he was shrieking at the home invader, and when he got all vigilante on its ass.
Likewise, I didn't think there was enough payoff to Phil's subterfuge with the snacks, I did love him yelling "Be cool!" when the security guard walked by. And Phil turning into Chris Farley when Kobe Bryant talked to him was classic.Who hasn't totally choked when confronted with a celebrity?
Oh, and by the way, I'm with Cam -- "squirt locker" was a perfectly fine joke!

No comments: